[permaculture] Advice for a corn farmer vexed by bugs nesting in clover?

trevor william johnson john2116 at msu.edu
Wed Aug 12 16:59:54 EDT 2009

I just got done reading the article and seems well grounded in the
effects of moving from green revolution farming to natural
techniques.  I dont have experience in growing acres of a single crop
but i have a grounding in systems.

Farming is contextual.  To say the bugs are from the cover crop does
not take the whole system into account.  He is going from a monocrop
system where he "usually does not use pesticides" to a bi-crop
system.  Adding an element to the system adds niches and this one
opened up an opportunity to host a bug from the surrounding area.
This points out a lack of knowledge of his area. I bet if he had not
sprayed the system he would have observed a predator to that
particular pest.  The system is growing in complexity and the first
guest to the party happens to be a party pooper.  Problems are
opportunities

I think this article is great for those looking from the permaculture
perspective.  This fella points out perfect systemic issues in
growing food.  He needs nitrogen.  The suggestion in the article to
mandate composting and delivering it to the farm is logistically
insane as he points out.  However he does not continue to question
and look from the angle of "how can we make this work". He simply
acknowledges the criticism and points out that he has been farming
the same land for 80 years.  How much top soil has he lost????!!!

His closing quote is perfect:
And everything I know and I have learned tells me this: we have to
farm "industrially" to feed the world, and by using those
"industrial" tools sensibly, we can accomplish that task and leave my
grandchildren a prosperous and productive farm, while protecting the
land, water, and air around us.

To transition from industrial agriculture to a local and regional
movement will take deep systemic thought to deal with the issues that
will present themselves to us.  This fella is on the cutting edge of
that without the observation skills to make the difference to his
system.  He is straddling the industrial mindset and dipping a toe
into the regional mindset and experiencing a mental short
circuit....as anyone would.

My advice: stop being so certain and be ok with questioning, doubt
and bad results.  They are all opportunities.  We all want to make a
living.  What we make ourselves dependent on will cause our success
or failure.  If i was a betting man I would put my chips on green
(natural systems) and not black (oil and other forms of ancient
sunlight).  CONTINUE TO QUESTION AND EXPERIMENT!

Trevor
Ferndale, MI