[permaculture] does perennial kale grow in your area?

yarrow at sfo.com yarrow at sfo.com
Tue Aug 11 15:14:17 EDT 2009

A friend in Portland, Oregon, was wondering if perennial kale would
grow there. I was also wondering how far its range extends. It does
very well in the SF Bay Area, where I've been eating it year-round.
When it got down to 20 degrees F one winter, my young plant looked a
little wilted but it revived easily.

In the book _Perennial Vegetables_, Eric Toensmeier calls it Brassica
oleracea acephala 'Tree Collards' , 'Walking Stick Kale' -- "an
heirloom variety or cluster of varieties" . He grew one variety from
seed and was unimpressed by the "rubbery texture and strong cabbage
flavor of the leaves" but said the one he grew from a cutting he got
in Berkeley (with purple leaves in cool weather) "tastes fantastic."

I got one of my original plants from a cutting and the other at a
plant exchange from a seed-grown plant identified as Walking Stick
Kale. Both get purplish leaves in cooler weather and taste great.