[permaculture] new article: concerns about the way most people raise chickens

George Anna Clark esac at laneta.apc.org
Sat Aug 8 19:07:41 EDT 2009

Hi Paul,

loved your article, appreciate laughing while being informed. I keep
wanting my chicken tractor to work but have also given up; thank you for
nixing designs that haven't occurred to me yet.

The chickens are free pasturing and driving me crazy, but still not the
priority on the farm. Under these conditions I often put chicks and
their mom in the tractor for the first week (moving it daily) for more
protection and better food supply.

I've decided on a pastured paddock system but with one chicken coop for
sleeping and laying for better predator protection (snakes are a bigger
problem than ferrets) and more convenient egg collection. Notice that
you don't comment on this option. It requires a run to communicate
between the pastures and the coop (or placing the coop in the middle of
the paddocks, but that wouldn't work for my layout), and I could also
connect the coop to the sheep/pig sheds, so they can spend a few hours
controlling maggots- this has worked well with the sheep.. The sheep and
pigs are on a rotating pasture system, but I have to enclose the sheep
at night, otherwise they're prone to jump the portable electric fence.
The pigs I can generally keep on pasture 24/7, but when they get in heat
some will jump (literally, or go under it) the fence and an unfenced pig
is a disaster--- lots of work and vegetation ruined in a very, very
short time.

Regarding breeds, I like the naked neck chicken which looks ugly as sin
but is regarded as a good dual purpose chicken, are good mothers and
taste great. I'm glad I got over the ugliness.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_Neck       or google for more
information. Mine lay white rather than brown eggs...

George Anna