[permaculture] beehive in my compost pile

Gary Bennett beancounterz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 17:39:00 EDT 2008

On 6/20/08, Paul Kosuth <prkosuth at ll.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I have some bee's and a hive in one of my compost piles which I found a
>  few days ago when getting some mulch to spread. The hives are just
>  below the surface, the individual cells are ovoid with an entrance on
>  the top end. The bee's started to spiral out from the hive yesterday
>  when I tried to dig from the opposite end of the pile with a couple of
>  them following me out from my compost area. I have other piles to use
>  so its not critical that I get at this pile. Should I leave them alone?
>  Will this be a problem that can get out of hand? They look cool and I
>  like observing them. They come out like hidden commandos from the pile
>  and then return and cover themselves up again when they return. there
>  are a few entrance holes to the hive as well.
>
>  should I be concerned about this? Are there any sites where I can learn
>  a bit more of this?
>
>  Thanks in advance.
>
>  Paul
>  southern Illinois

Paul,

Here are a couple of beekeeping resources and forums:
http://beemaster.com/ and http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php.

Is it feasible for you to get hold of a hive and have a beekeeper
transfer the bees to it? Alternatively you may prefer to have a
beekeeper take the swarm away.

Regards, Gary