[permaculture] Permaculture sites in the NW?

Jody Troupe jodyt2 at mac.com
Sat Jun 7 13:49:07 EDT 2008

Hello Sara-

We just checked out OAEC (Occidental Arts & Ecology Center)  ~ 1hr
north of San Francisco back in December.

http://www.oaec.org/

It was their 'off' time since nothing was really growing and they
weren't having classes, so we had to arrange to meet with someone
because it really wasn't exactly tourist season. But we got to see the
layout of the place and we found the people very nice and informative.
It was a very pretty area. They were also working on developing a low
power radio station that would broadcast educational info pertaining
to permaculture or related topics. Not sure if they have it working yet.

The Solar Living Institute is near OAEC and is also worth a stop.

http://www.solarliving.org/

It is actually a retail store of various energy saving products, not
just solar oriented. Their building is interesting - a U-shaped
construction with a coiled fountain/pond thing where they can mark the
suns movement through the seasons. We happened to be there on the
winter solstice and they were having a ceremony. They have examples of
cob buildings, a yurt, a bike set-up showing how you can power a light
bulb, and they offer lots of classes. I just looked at their calendar
and there are a slew of things lined up for the summer.

And, just a heads' up on visiting some of the places, at least in our
experience. It would be worth calling ahead so they know you're
coming. We showed up at the Bullocks on Orcas Island 3 years ago in
early June, unannounced, and found no one there except 2 interns. One
very nice french girl was building a cob oven and was nice enough to
chat with us and show us around a bit, but we couldn't find anyone
else anywhere!

Hope that's helpful!

Jody T