[permaculture] FLPCI Permaculture Feb '08, Ithaca, NY USA

Michael Burns michael at fingerlakespermaculture.org
Mon Jan 28 23:13:35 EST 2008

CAYUGA NATURE CENTER
and
Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
1420 Taughannock Blvd
Ithaca, NY 14850
607-273-6260
www.cayuganaturecenter.org
www.fingerlakespermaculture.org

FEBRUARY 2008 EVENTS

-- Permaculture: Building an Ecosystem 1/30
-- Global Perspectives 2/2
-- Reading the Landscape 2/3
-- Maple Sugaring & Nature Awareness 2/4
-- Local Foods Brunch 2/10
-- Built Environment 2/16
-- Designing a Home 2/17

PERMACULTURE: BUILDING AN ECOSYSTEM
Wednesday, January 30
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
FREE!

There is a world view which identifies humanity as a vital part of
the web of life; indeed people have for thousands of years been
stewards of the Earth, always finding innovative ways to extract our
needs for survival while improving life for other species and future
generations. Join Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute Program
Coordinator Steve Gabriel for a discussion on the design process as a
tool for making effective, measurable changes in the way we work in
the world. Steve will share design examples from the Cayuga Nature
Center, where FLPCI has been working on development of a land use
plan incorporating agricultural, forestry, habitat and interpretive
elements. Space is limited and registration is required.

To register, sign up at GreenStar's Customer Service Desk or call
273-9392.
This class is free and open to the public, and will be held in the
meeting room at GreenStar Cooperative Market’s West-End Store, 701 W.
Buffalo St.

GLOBAL PERSPECTIVES
part of the Winter Weekends PDC

Saturday, February 2
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
$50 each class/$150 for four (see schedule online)

This session takes a look at the fundamental processes that drive
earth systems and the role they play in determining our temperate
climate. Perspectives on a changing climate, the Gaia hypothesis, and
weather play a large part in designing our homes and gardens since
they are elements we are least able to change. We will discuss these
concepts and explore designing to use these limitations to our
advantage.

READING THE LANDSCAPE
part of the Winter Weekends PDC

Sunday, February 3
9:00 am - 4:00pm
$50 each class/$150 for four (see schedule online)

This class will focus on nature and landscape as our main teacher for
good design. We begin with careful observation and rely on our
senses, experience, and intuition to collect information about the
areas we wish to cultivate and develop to meet our needs. This class
will provide participants with a complete sense of how to evaluate
the various social and environmental characteristics of any landscape.

MAPLE SUGARING & NATURE AWARENESS
for Kids and Families!
Monday, February 4, 2:00 - 4:30 pm
$15 per family or $150 for entire session

The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute offers a program in
conjunction with Trumansburg Learning Cooperative.We will explore the
forest as winter turns to spring and help with maple sugaring at
Cayuga Nature Center, learning the history and process of turning sap
into syrup. Come learn about tracking & stalking, winter ecology,
permaculture attitudes, maple sugaring history, and modern syrup
production.

More info: www.fingerlakespermaculture.org or EJ George at 607-387-3602

LOCAL FOODS BRUNCH
Sunday, February 10th
$12 Adults/$6 Kids

Brunch & Live Music with Zela Zola 10:00 am - 11:30 am
Maple Sugaring Tour & Workshop: 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm

Cayuga Nature Center offers a healthy brunch sourced from local and
organic ingredients and a variety of activities for the whole family.
We will serve buttermilk & vegan pancakes, eggs, homefries, and a
seasonal dish cooked by CNC staff. Coffee, Tea, and Juice are
included. Fee: $12 Adults and $6 Kids includes general admission

Brunch will be accompanied by live music from Zela Zola, a gypsy jazz
father and son duo. Land Use manager Steve Gabriel will lead a tour
and short workshop on getting ready for maple sugaring season. Trails
will be open for hiking, and showshoes are available for rental at $8
a pair, weather permitting.

More info: www.fingerlakespermaculture.org/localfoodsbrunch.htm or
call 607-273-6260.

BUILT ENVIRONMENT
part of the Winter Weekends PDC

Saturday, February 16
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
$50 each class/$150 for four (see schedule online)

The infrastructure industrial society has created shapes the way we
live, work, and play. As we understand the influence of technology on
our culture we can begin to make choices that will benefit us
ecologically and economically. Sessions will focus on the nature of
energy transactions and their applications to tools, appropriate
technology, and urban design.

DESIGNING A HOME
part of the Winter Weekends PDC

Sunday, February 17
9:00 am - 4:00pm
$50 each class/$150 for four (see schedule online)

In the northeast over 40% of our energy use is in our buildings. How
can we design and use our buildings to lessen our impact? This class
will cover building fundamentals (Siting, Structure, Skin, Services,
Space, & Stuff) and different forms natural buildings (strawbale,
cob, timberframe, and more!)

ABOUT

Cayuga Nature Center (www.cayuganaturecenter.org) (CNC) is a place to
explore the wonders of nature. We invite you to visit our collection
of over 40 live Animals, climb around Treetops, our six story
observational tree-house, or simply enjoy the outdoors while walking
our five miles of interpretive trails, which meander through a mature
deciduous forest, along gorges and streams, and past a variety of
native plants and wildlife.

Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute (www.fingerlakespermaculture.org)
is a project of CNC providing affordable and experiential learning
events in the Finger Lakes bioregion of New York State. We offer two
annual Permaculture Design Certification courses, monthly brunches
featuring local farmers, and a variety of other programming for
children and adults.

Hours for the Main Lodge: Monday - Sunday 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Trails are open to the pubic from dawn to dusk, 365 days a year.

General Admission: $3 Adults, $2 Seniors/Students, $1 Kids

Earn your permaculture design certificate.
The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
offers affordable local classes.
http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org