[permaculture] Strictly Permaculture

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at intrex.net
Fri Jan 25 16:11:38 EST 2008

Adrienne Rayna wrote:

> I'm pretty new to this list.   An email in the archives about permaculture ideas being applied to education to create what the author called  'green' learning:
> (developing the same awareness and connection between the learner and learned that a gardener has with the earth and plants and seasons, I think)  was what drew me to this list.  I'm not a farmer, but see great potential in applying the principles of permaculture to everything from social networks, to business structures, to education.  My Question is How Will Permaculture be defined for your list?  Agricultural Only?
>
> On the other hand I was overwhelmed with over 150 emails mostly containing info on unscrupulous practices at SSE  my first days of receiving!  But inspired immensly with pedal power and pull chains and Helix windmill ideas for generating power.  ( I guess these would belong to the inventors list?)
>
> Just A few thoughts for defining the list.

You might be interested in this post I found on the Web:

Building Food Production Into Land Use Planning
Marty Kraft
martyk at allspecies.org
Fri Jan 25 11:01:01 EST 2008

I would like to know what city governments can do to make it easier
for small scale food producers to be successful. What we find out for
our city could have application elsewhere.

As chair of the Local Foods Committee of the Environmental Management
Commission I am looking to explore the factors that would facilitate
local food production in and around Kansas City. The emphasis would
be on yard gardens and small scale producers. The effort should
encourage ecologically sustainable methods.

We could look at codes and zoning policies, land taxes or other ways
to encourage food production. We could also look into gardening
educational programs that the city might promote or sponsor that
could reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Our findings will be submitted
to the Environmental Management Commission and could find their way
into the City's Climate Protection Process.

Much of our work could be done by email with an occasional meeting.

If you are interested in participating please let me know. Or just
send the information you think would help with a request not to be
included in further emails to your personal accounts.

Thanks

Marty Kraft