[permaculture] new inventions

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at intrex.net
Wed Jan 16 14:30:22 EST 2008

Keith Johnson wrote:

> A friend forwarded this link to interesting design ideas. WAY too much
> plastic, IMO, and too many "smart" gadgets, but creative nonetheless. I
> found it useful to stimulate my imagination toward more renewable,
> sustainable inventions. "Amazing" is a bit hyperbolic.
>
>> This is a page from a site featuring winners of design competitions
>>in a wide variety of arenas. You can check out other great design
>>winners via links on the left side bar on the page hyperlinked below.
>>These inventions are amazing! This is just one that really left my jaw
>>dropped. There is an amazing back pack solar cooker, a "love
>>mattress", just lots of amazingly inventive great new ideas.
>>
>>http://www.red-dot.sg/Concept/porfolio/06/06gr/R034flow.htm

I have always been interested in possibilities with the Darrieus rotor.

"The wind energy system uses a Darrieus-type vertical axis wind turbine. It can operate normally even when the wind is
not very strong."

Technology and materials available these days ought to b able to produce a small high efficiency
Darrieus turbine for home electric power generation. Thses systems do not have to be on a high tower,
can be light and mounted easilt alomst anywhere, i.e. safe and easy to construct and install.