[permaculture] Google|Specialized - Innovate or Die Pedal-Powered Machine Contest

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at intrex.net
Wed Feb 27 15:07:55 EST 2008

L. Santoyo wrote:

> The entries and winners from last year:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/groups_videos?name=innovateordie

This one gets high marks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cjmAt96WEI&feature=related
Multiuse Bike Machine - Innovate or die competition
" This is my multiuse bike machine.
Its functions include:
-knife sharpener, to maintain farming equipment
-grinder, for grinding coffee, grain, spices, or to make animal feed
-corn degrainer to simplify and accelerate a necessary but time consuming task in processing corn
-electric generator for off the grid lighting
-blender to improve nutrition and add enable home based micro industry
-water pump, capable of moving 5 gallons per minute

The tools are mounted on tables which attach to a simple 3 point mounting system. The tool tables can be switched easily
using only one tool. Changing attachments usually takes under 5 minutes.

The design is simple yet versatile and I am still working on developing more attachments.

Similar pedal powered machines have proved to be very useful to subsistence farmers in rural Guatemala. My design
combines these 6 machines into one simple design, to streamline production and lower costs. While it is unlikely any one
user will want all 6 tools, the machine provides more utility at a lower cost.

All of the parts are locally available and it can be built and maintained with a minimal number of tools."