[permaculture] Plastic v. Stainless Steel

yarrow at sfo.com yarrow at sfo.com
Mon Feb 11 01:03:31 EST 2008

Well, you already have the stainless steel bottle, so obviously it's
better to use it until it wears out than to ever use another plastic
bottle again.

I haven't bought one yet, and wonder if it's worth it. I have used
glass jars to carry tea to classes, though I still reuse random
plastic bottles to carry cold water around.

Anyway, I see several distinct questions here.

1. If you're now buying plastic water bottles by the case, is it
better for your health and the environment to stop using plastic?

2. If you occasionally pick up a plastic water bottle at a meeting or
conference, is it ok to refill and reuse it?

3. If you don't want to drink tap water for whatever reason (ag
region with nitrites, chloramine, etc.) and can't get water delivered
in glass bottles for whatever reason, is it better to buy
filtered/purified water in large plastic bottles, or are you better
off drinking the tap water and not storing any water in plastic?

4. What has more embedded energy: a stainless steel water bottle that
can be used for years (say, 2 years before it gets too dented or gets
lost), or one (or more) plastic bottles a day (750-1000 over a couple
years)?

5. What is more healthful in the long run for personal and plantetary
health, a stainless steel water bottle that is more or less inert and
can be refilled for years, or a plastic bottle that can be reused for
a month but that leaches more polymers into the water the more it's
used?