[permaculture] reed beds

George Anna Clark esac at laneta.apc.org
Sat Feb 9 15:24:30 EST 2008

Hi Christoph,

I lived at 1800 meters between Mexico City and Cuernavaca for about 12
years and treated my grey water with a combination grease trap, reed bed
and I guess my experience would tell me the answer to your question is
"it depends"... we always had water left over, but the water didn't come
out "pure" either. It was fine for watering the avocado tree and bamboo
and whatever I was in the mood to water. Once it came out of the reed
bed it was fed by a hose to the trees and I would often just leave it
for weeks (the soil there is very porous - no clay whatsoever). It did
not come out clean enough to store - got smelly very quickly.

I know a family who took their system out because they wanted enough
water to fill up a small pond.

Mine had papyrus and something very similar - the roots would eventually
clog up the filterbed and I'd have to dig some out  - a good excuse to
give them away to others establishing theirs. I never messed with a
greenhouse to reduce evaporation, would surely help. As I remember
shade, however, is not appreciated by the reeds.

good luck,
george anna