[permaculture] Reeds and Cattails

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Thu Feb 7 23:55:41 EST 2008

I didn't mention that my "reed" bed (I call it a constructed wetland, or
bog garden if the inspector is looking) contains goldstripe bulrush
(Schoenoplectus tabernaemontanae),  some Scirpus bulrush, yellow and
Siberian iris, canna lily, and dwarf and micro-dwarf cattails (Typha
minima). Full-size cattails can get 12 feet tall in a nice fertile
greywater system, and I don't have room for that in my urban yard.  The
dwarf types are great for home-size systems. I don't actually have reeds.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com