[permaculture] Perennials that hold their form in winter

Paul d'Aoust paul at heliosville.com
Tue Aug 5 16:11:24 EDT 2008

I know this is an old thread, and you've probably received tons of
my suggestions:

      * Box (Buxus)
      * Yew (Taxus) (both have poisonous berries, but they're very
        pretty)
      * Oregon grape (Mahonia aquifolia) - edible berries, and the
        interesting spiky leaves go a lovely red in the winter
      * Rosemary ('Arp' is supposedly hardy to zone 5 or 6; needs good
        drainage, and should probably be placed adjacent to a
        south-facing wall or rock)
      * Lavender (leaves and flowers go gray in the winter, but they
        stay on the plant and still smell nice if you touch them)

All of the above, with the exception of lavender, are evergreen.

Paul