[permaculture] nettles

SArjuna at aol.com SArjuna at aol.com
Fri Apr 11 10:48:44 EDT 2008

     Someone recently posted 101 uses for nettles.

     I'd like to point out that as far as eating goes, wood nettles beat
stinging nettles by a long shot.    Wood nettles are the tastiest greens I know
of.   Much nicer to eat than stinging nettle.

     I pick and dry them in early summer, to use in soups and teas in winter.
   There is nothing like steeping some wood nettle in hot water in January,
then drinking the tea and eating all leaves in it, too.

     In his book Sacred and Herbal Beers Healing , Stephen Buhner says that
beer made with fresh nettles is sublime.    (No hops involved.   Hops are very
estrogenic.   Not at all healthy for men.   And soporific for everyone.)   He
cites a long list of health benefits.    Either type of nettle can be used.

     Shivani in WI