[permaculture] Pond construction

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Thu Nov 29 07:18:17 EST 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Vital Scherrer wrote:
> The method with the liner of soft organic material, which is covered with
> soil to turn into a water proofing slimy layer is not applicable either, as
> there is not enough such suitable material around here.

 This method was what I first thought of when the question popped
 up a few days ago.  I've never seen it done, but I've been wondering
 how effective this type of dam construction actually is.

 The way it's been explained to me is that you generate your own
 organic material - sowing things like dolichos lab lab (for example),
 irrigating it if needed, and then when there's sufficient biomass,
 trampling it down and then filling the area with water.  I've no
 idea how it self-replenishes, and/or what maintenance is required.

 I should possibly just try it on a small scale - I've got the perfect
 (sandy loam) soil to experiment with.

 Jedd.

 {140 lines of irrelevant and repeated messages removed}