[permaculture] Urine against voles?

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Wed Nov 7 01:29:29 EST 2007

Dieter, I have no experience dealing with this problem.

Have you any experience with terriers? It strikes me that you need
something with a good nose.

I lived for while on Amherst Island in Lake Ontario which was overrun
with voles and had been for many years. It struck me that the island
seemed to lack large snakes, which are well known as enemies of voles,
possibly because it had been heavily cultivated and populated in the past.

I have known an apple grower to use a sudden abundance of medium sized
snakes (garter snakes) as an indication that he needed to do something
about his vole population. Snakes need winter shelter from frost among
other things.

Chickens are great mulch sifters and enemies of voles. Baby mice are
tiny and helpless, ideal chicken snacks.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada