[permaculture] Urine against voles?

Sarah sarah52blue at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 17:50:19 EST 2007

Hello:
  I have not had any good  results versus voles with urine.  However, I have discovered that peppermint essential oil works very well.  I put a few drops (its very potent stuff) on cotton balls and scatter them where the voles are eating and they quit.  Also repels mice in buildings.

  Best regards,

  Sarah

Dieter Brand <diebrand at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Hi,

Does anybody know whether urine is effective for
repelling voles? Voles are supposed to have a very
sensitive sense of smell and seem to avoid anything
with a human odour on it.

At what ratio is urine diluted when used in the garden?
Is it used immediately or do I a let it sit for a while?
For how long is the repellent effect likely to last, if
there is one?

This is rather urgent, the buggers finish off one
salad after the other before I get a chance to harvest
any. In the summer they destroyed almost all of my
sweet potatoes. I bought 10 sweet potatoes to grow
more than 100 seedlings. When I harvested last week,
all I got was 5 sweet potatoes. At this rate I might
as well give up or use poison.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

PS: I use no-till with mulch, which doesn't help in
detecting the voles.

Subscribe or unsubscribe here: