[permaculture] Goat death (AKA So what do you really think about long term climate change due to pollution-related global warming)

Paul Cereghino paul.cereghino at comcast.net
Mon Mar 26 11:01:35 EDT 2007

If you don't want to kill your domesticated animals, one approach would
be to allow other animals to harvest your goats.  If a goat herd is
being protected by a human in a limited space, that herd will grow and
grow until it denudes the landscape and then starves.  It seems like all
animals perpetuate through some kind of self regulation process (in the
case of domesticated goats this becomes 'harvest', 'culling',
'male-preferential infanticide', 'killing', 'celebration of kali',
'leave billy to the coyote' or whatever we want to call it.)  On the
other side of the coin there is disease, murder, and starvation.

It seems like there are two pathways for animals contributing to
greenhouse gasses.  One is through methane production when we stockpile
wet manure, methanogenesis requires anaerobic conditions (big stinky wet
heap or cess pond).  The other is the energy use in transportation and
cooling of feed, animals, and meat product.  Both pathways are solved by
Vido's recommendations.  So if you are looking for a causation
argument... while vegetarians may be motivated to present their decision
in a dramatic context, vegetarianism is one step removed from the
problem/solution.  Industrial agriculture and excessive fat consumption
with an inactive lifestyle is self-destructive, while vegetarianism is a
moral issue.  I am not yet convinced that the moral gains of keeping
blood off our hands outweighs the burden of giving up omnivory, but am
open to argument.

Paul Cereghino
Olympia, WA