[permaculture] Kickoff Africa to Brazil Event/March 20, 3:30-5:30pm/Pascucci's Restaurant Santa Barbara CA USA

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Mar 20 12:24:58 EDT 2007

Hi Everyone-

This is it!  Our kickoff event to tell the Santa Barbara community
about our effort to bring 4 members of the Food & Trees for Africa
(FTFA) to the International Permaculture Conference in Brazil (IPC8)
www.ipc8.org at Pascucci's Restaurant in downtown Santa Barbara (see
below for details). If you can not attend please see end of email on
how to make a donation.

We really believe in this one!  If you've ever wanted to support SB
Permaculture Network and the work we do, this is the time.  We love
the idea of lot's of members participating by sending donations of
$5, $10, $20, they all add up.  Large or small donations lovingly
accepted.  Remember that the global permaculture movement exists
solely as a result of hundreds of individuals working hard to create
positive solutions for this world, for the most part without any
substantial (or any) support from large institutions, corporations or
governments.

If you want to hear more about the International Permaculture
Conference and the extraordinary work that Food & Trees for Africa
does, go to an interview on A Sustainable World Radio last week with
FTFA founder Jeunesse Parks: http://www.radio4all.net/proginfo.php?id=22251

Thanks for your support, Margie Bushman & Wes Roe
<<<>>>
                         SANTA BARBARA PERMACULTURE NETWORK
Presents:
AFRICA TO BRAZIL
Fundraiser Event @ Pascucci's Restaurant
729 State Street
Tues, March 20, 3:30-5pm

         Please join Santa Barbara Permaculture Network as we raise
funds to bring four members of Food & Trees for Africa from South
Africa to Brazil for the 8th International Permaculture Conference,
with a kick-off fundraiser event at Pascucci's restaurant.  The event
will take place on Tue, March 20th, from 3:30-5pm with appetizers and music.

         In 2005, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network traveled to
Croatia to attend the 7th International Permaculture
Conference.  Permaculture practitioners, teachers and organizations
had gathered from around the world to share experiences, knowledge
and projects.  At the conference it was realized that many from cash
poor, but tradition and skills rich countries such as Vietnam,
Cambodia, Honduras, and many countries in Africa, were unable attend
simply due to lack of funds.  A challenge was given to all in
attendance to commit to bring some of these under-represented
countries to the next conference.  Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
chose South Africa, and an organization called Food & Trees for Africa (FTFA).

         Food & Trees For Africa (www.trees.co.za) is an exemplary
organization bringing tree planting and permaculture to townships and
rural areas of South Africa since 1990. FTFA has assisted tens of
thousands of people by greening unhealthy, denuded and degraded
landscapes through diverse programs including national school garden
competitions, community gardens and urban forestry projects. FTFA
extended its operations to assist organizations working in the field
of HIV/AIDS, helping to reduce the potentially devastating effects of
the disease by establishing permaculture food growing projects at
clinics, schools and in public open spaces.

         The kick-off event at Pascucci's will offer the community a
chance to hear more about the people of FTFA and their work.  An
event donation of $5 is suggested, with opportunities to contribute
more later if inclined.  Needed for travel expense to Brazil and the
conference is $3000 for each member of FTFA.  The group will share
their experiences with donors as they travel..

         The International Permaculture Conferences are held
bi-annually, discussing world issues in the framework of
Permaculture.  The theme for this years conference is "Greening the
Economy", with a world (public) conference in Sao Paulo, Brazil.  It
will be followed by a four day working convergence with members
discussing issues from permanent agriculture, urban design,
economical systems, and bioregionalism, with the exchange of
experience of actual projects a pivotal point. A week tour of the
Amazon River Basin is also planned.

         Permaculture is a design system based on ecological
principles for creating sustainable human environments.  In 1978
there was nothing quite like Permaculture, twenty-eight years later
Permaculture laps the globe, with over 4000 projects in 120
countries. Originally coined from the words PERMAnent agriCULTURE, it
has evolved to one of permanent or sustainable culture with
consciously designed landscapes that mimic the patterns of nature.

         For those unable to attend the event but would like to
contribute, donations may be made to: Santa Barbara Permaculture
Network 501(c), (designate FTFA), PO Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA,
93190.  If you would like to make a donation by Credit Card/ATM
please go to International Permaculture Conference and Conference
webpage (www.ipc8.org/payments) and specify your donations is
for  FTFA (payment will go directly them).

         The event takes place at Pascucci's Restaurant, 729 State
Street, on Tue, March 20, 3:30-5pm, no reservations are necessary.
For more information; 805-962-2571, margie at sbpermaculture.org,
www.sbpermaculture.org. Co-sponsors for the event are Sustainable
World Radio KCSB 91.9fm, IPC8 www.ipc8.org, and Hopedance Media.

-end-

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous