[permaculture] PERMACULTURE & RODENTS

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 20:11:50 EDT 2007

Barn owls are possibly the best possible natural predator and barn owl homes are easy to build or buy. There are many plans for building them that can be downloaded from the Internet.

I attended an interesting lecture by a joint team of Israeli and Palestinian scientists ( that was a story in itself), who had as an experiment set up barn owl homes complete with video cameras.  They had video of the chicks swallowing a whole vole like a snake. They were educating farmers in their respectives countries on the benefits of the barn owls. They found that a nesting pairs of barn owls were taking at least a thousand rodents a year for themselves and their chicks.  I have seen other estimates that are higher.

I personally don't hestitate to humanely trap rats either. It was coming down to the fact that I was growing fruit for the rats not for us.  Often some critter makes a meal of the rat before I can even empty the trap. So I have provided skunks, raccoons and other creatures with fresh rat steak.