[permaculture] defining permaculture

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 19 12:25:26 EDT 2007

roxann,
Sounds like you're doing a lot of things right.

roxann wrote:
> is permaculture/food forest adverse to cutting trees at all, or is it permissable to clear some for letting sunlight reach crops,
Sculpting the forest space to allow light penetration mimics the
conditions that would prevail if a large tree crashed and created an
opening. We then mimic the natural regeneration process selecting
varieties we like.
>  or just what exactly does the principles of "food forestry" consider to be permaculture?
Dave Jacke's Edible Forest Gardens will offer you a broader perspective
regarding food production around trees. Permaculture is a "design"
science based on observing and mimic-ing natural systems and using the
successful examples of eons of evolution. It doesn't matter so much
whether we call it Permaculture or not. What matters is the overall
health and connectedness of the elements in the total design and how
well we are cared for by it.

'Consciously designed landscapes which mimic the patterns and
relationships found in nature, while yielding an abundance of food,
fibre and energy for provision of local needs. People, their buildings
and the ways in which they organise themselves are central to
permaculture. Thus the permaculture vision of permanent or sustainable
agriculture has evolved to one of permanent or sustainable culture.'

If YOU think you are doing this, then you are practicing permaculture
and you thus have data to share with other practitioners.

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."