[permaculture] The Sustainability of Biofuels

Kai Vido kaivido at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 15:17:22 EDT 2007

I agree with all your points. I think recycling waste cooking oil is a
great idea (I'll soon be running my VW Jetta on fryer oil), but the
ecological problems with large-scale production of any biofuels
outweigh the short-term benefits. All it may do is buy a few more years
of "Happy Motoring" (see James Howard Kunstler's writings) at an
accelerated rate of resource depletion.

Agriculture systems, transportation systems and many others will need
to be restructured in a major way in the coming decade. Used wisely,
biofuels and many other energy alternatives can help cushion the fall
of the resource-squandering culture we live in, but we need to start
"making other arrangements":

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/7/

Adopting a Permaculture system is a great way to start!

Kai Vido