[permaculture] Organic no-till for dry-land farming?

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 10:09:08 EDT 2007

Sue,

  My Internet link doesn’t allow me to watch videos online; however, the few glimpses
  I managed to get of Peter Andrews’ video seemed to show bulldozers engaged
  in earthworks on a gigantic scale. The very thing I’m trying to avoid.

  I was more inspired by Mr. Piri’s (a Zimbabwean farmer) experience of self-education
  in matters of water conservation which made the rounds a couple of years ago.
  You may have seen it already, if not, you should be able to find it soon enough
  by searching Google for "the man who harvested water".

  Different from Peter, Mr. Piri used only hand tools and his own labour to convert
  a barren hillside property into a staged garden with numerous structures for
  preventing run-offs and storing water.

  There is of course a difference in scale; however, Mr. Piri’s approach has the
  advantage that it is unlikely to bankrupt you.

  Dieter Brand
  Portugal

  Sue wrote:

  Dieter is describing "Instead I have started collected stones, wooden logs, etc. to build a multitude of little barriers across the water lines and around the growing areas. An undisturbed soil is the best water storage means". This is similar to what Peter Andrews did and can be seen on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7pMDHJ1sbY&mode=related&search= Also put in permaculture into that search for quite a few film clips. Even the internet can help us communicate the message Sue