[permaculture] Ron Paul for president of the United States ofAmerica

Robert Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Mon Jun 11 17:06:08 EDT 2007

I would like to encourage people to connect their
political posts with permaculture.  I think
encouraging people to think in permaculture ways
about their politics is a good thing.  I tend to
think that permaculture praxis is itself a very
effective politics these days.  I also think that
the focus so many people have on Imperial politics
(of the left, right, and center) is one of many
distractions that keep us busy at everything
except those things which really have a chance of
evolving our system in a more sustainable, just,
and humane direction.  That trick is much older
than Machiavelli.

If things could be reformed from the top down,
well, that would be another situation, but that
isn't how things are in the real world.  Any
number of people have tried that in human history,
often for the best of motives, but somehow they
always end up turning to the gulag and mass terror
since people ignorantly and persistently refuse to
see the wisdom of those who have chosen themselves
as "leaders". Try grafting pecan wood on a lambs
quarter plant, and see how effective that top down
strategy is.  If you grafted your pecan wood onto
a suitable root stock, however, that promises
success.

I would not want to see politics banned in our
discussions here, but I do think that since
permaculture is the topic of this listserv, folks
should try to think about their politics in light
of all that permaculture has to teach us about
human culture and its place in the natural
ecology.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City