[permaculture] Benign Neglect

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Tue Jun 5 12:02:28 EDT 2007

I buy some produce from a local fruitstand who deals with a lot of local organic farmers.  They got in some incredible cherries and the owner of the stand told me the story connected with them.  They come from an abandoned orchard. The current owner of the orchard ignores them and does absolutely nothing. He doesn't prune, weed, fertilize, or spray the trees. They are totally ignored.  Once a year a crew comes in and picks the cherries.  This has been going on for twelve years yet with no reduction in quality or the size of the crop.  There may be a lesson here for a lot of conventional farmers who manage orchards.