[permaculture] spindle cut orchards

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Mon Jun 4 04:10:40 EDT 2007

Linda Shewan wrote:

> Lots of permaculture designs that I have seen include espaliers and
> variations and all the permaculture reading I have done advocates
> pruning which just doesn't sit right with me.

Stark Brothers will tell you that growing fruit trees singly with full open branching
to take advantage of light and air circulation (for disease prevention) is the best way.

I have heard a lot about growing them espaliered on heavy wires stretched between posts along rows.
in open fields with plenty of light and air circulation. I have talked with fruit growers in the NC
mountains who do this - 10' T posts and high tensile wire. I see nothing wrong with this growing method.

Ask people in the NAFEX mailing list for the definitive answer.
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm
lfl at intrex.net