[permaculture] Peak Oil -

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 17 20:03:39 EDT 2007

lbsaltzman at aol.com wrote:

> I will certainly testify that when I took the Permaculture Design Course community systems were clearly discussed as the hardest and most difficult to achieve.
> Marjory wrote:
>> It is dammned hard to get one of those remote
>>farms up and functioning, much less a small community, and I sincerely doubt
>>eco cities will emerge.  I think one of the major failings of permaculture
>>is the false optimism it engenders.

Try harder, work more, don't get distracted. It'll get there.

Toby Hemenway wrote:
> In what way does permaculture engender false optimism? I've never heard
> anyone say that it's easy to set up an ecovillage. Quite the opposite.
> Oh, Mollison and others talk about how easy it is to grow a lot of food
> and they sound pretty optimistic about gardening, but my experience is,
> that's true. But a community? I don't see anything in any Pc literature
> saying communities are easy to create, and most instructors I know point
> out how much work and luck is involved. So if you're going to accuse Pc
> of a "major failing," I''m curious to know the basis for the accusation.
>
> Toby

Designing and building a whole community system is one thing
but a group of people on one piece of land can work separately but together to make
an ecovillage happen. If every individual does his task to the best of his ability
and works as a team member with the rest it can come together. Organize people according
to the skills they possess and establish work groups to get jobs done - and keep it organized that way. Set a
schedule working toward task completion and one for daily events such as sleep, meals, household, exercise,
group activities, recreation ... and time on the computer connecting with the Web and the people on it.

I can speak about building one person homesteads with diverse systems
and dealing with energy, buildings, land, water and food issues. Take 30 people who have also done this and put them
together on land to build a eco community and it should happen. Stay focused on real, hands-on activities,
avoid distractions and the village will be built.

Just another untested theory.
LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.