[permaculture] Soil Carbon Sequestration

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Wed Jul 4 12:11:03 EDT 2007

Also checkout http://www.yeomansplow.com.au/index.htm?and read Yoeman's numbers on carbon sequestration with keyline design. It is covered in detail in the book Priority One available on the website.

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles de Matas <cdematas at hotmail.com>
To: permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 8:47 am
Subject: [permaculture] Soil Carbon Sequestration

Okay - I'll try to find the book and give you a better idea of what he
actually wrote. I think the book is "Agroforestry for Soil Management".  I
was quoting from memory which is always risky.
    It would be nice if soil carbon sequestration could help in the problem
of climate change.  I think that scientists have recognized that no single
tactic will be enough.  They have listed about a dozen or so modalities
(more efficient appliances, hybrid cars, solar and other renewable energies,
energy efficient buildings, sequestration, etc.) where each one will take up
a 'slice' of the carbon needed to be removed to offset burning of fossil
fuels.  Maybe soil carbon sequestration can help with a small slice, but I
haven't seen enough to convince me that it will be a major factor in
controlling CO2.

Charles.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Could you get a better reference on that book. The conclusions are contrary
to a
number of studies and articles I have seen. I am curious to read how he got
his conclusions.

Do a google search on carbon sequestration in the soil and you be amazed at
the
number of studies and the amount of mainstream research being done. Here are
just a few references on carbon sequestration in the soil from that search:

http://edcintl.cr.usgs.gov/carbonoverview.html?
http://www.fao.org/ag/agL/agll/carbonsequestration/?
http://ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/pdf/0510.pdf?
http://www.eprida.com/hydro/soilseq.htm?