[permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 48, Issue 62

Marimike6 at cs.com Marimike6 at cs.com
Wed Jan 31 07:58:47 EST 2007

Larry writes "I can assure you that most indigenous cultures have
spirituality and religion so interwoven in the structure of their culture that it can't
and shouldn't be separated out. There is even evidence that religious practices
pre-dated our species. Amongst at least one other member of genus Homo, Homo
Neanderthalensis, we find the beginnings of spiritual/religious practices in
the burial practices."

The gibbons of the Malay Peninsula greet each morning by gathering in the
trees, all facing the rising sun. They then do an exultant chant in unison, that
sounds like an ascending musical scale, holding the high note in a greeting
that observers describe as being an unmistakable expression of joy and
recognition. It may be that some observance of the mystical origins of the world, and
of life on earth-- that is, a religious sense-- is innate to living things
other than just Homer Sapiens.