[permaculture] Pond Plant

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Mon Jan 29 23:32:00 EST 2007

Paul Cereghino wrote:

> be forewarned, raccoons like water hyacinth too... but some might
> consider raccoons a yield of you pond as well  ;)  I haven't tried it

They can be dangerous if encountered and cornered unexpectedly. They are prime candidates for rabies and
then are very aggressive as are foxes. I am somewhat isolated, almost surrounded by woods and the rabies threat scares
the hell out of me. Then I also have to deal with poisonous copperhead snakes and black widow spiders, also ground
dwelling, swarming, aggressive bumblebees and yellow jackets.

> but I just read yesterday that the common speedwell (Veronica americana)
> is a delicacy to some (Schofield, 1989) and grows like a weed.
http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/creeping_speedwell_2/
Creeping Speedwell (P) — Veronica filiformis — Family: Scrophulariaceae (Figwort)
Look alikes are:
# Corn Speedwell (Veronica arvensis)
# Germander Speedwell (Veronica chamaedrys)
# Ground Ivy (Glechoma hederacea)
# Henbit (Lamium amplexicaule)

Looks nice; I'd welcome that plant friend as I do most with the notable exception of Bermuda grass and poison ivy,
and sometimes bamboo. I am especially fond of ground ivy, which has such a nice smell.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm
lfl at intrex.net