[permaculture] permaculture spirituality

Paul Cereghino paul.cereghino at comcast.net
Fri Jan 26 13:28:45 EST 2007

And then there are groups of white people borrowing American Indian
religious motifs (after borrowing their land).  I personally find
elements of New Age subcultural beliefs as challanging to digest as
elements of evangelical christain beliefs.  And I would suggest that
christian practice can also feed the whole mind-body-spirit, just as a
'New Age' practice, purporting to be whole, can fail to do so.
Two-edged swords everywhere you look.  In my gut, I don't see
incorporation of permaculture into sub-cultural cosmologies as beneficial.

The 'New Age' subculture is looking for unitary philosophical phenomena
much like other evangelical faith-based communities.  And with slight
adaptation, permaculture can be presented as a unitary all encompassing
philosophy.  However I think this is a subcultural phenomena.  I would
suspect that this list does NOT reflect a cross cutting demographic
(referencing the esteemed mr. London's 'mainstream' comments earlier),
and that keeping Permaculture free and clear 'New Age' cultural
influences, is as critical to its expansion in America as building a
legitimate connection to the scientific community.  As MLK used to
say... keep your eye on the prize.

Toby, I like your last question... the correlation between 'new age
flavor' and permaculture is important.

Paul Cereghino