[permaculture] Software thoughts (Was: Help and conversations for possibility AND action)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Sat Jan 20 14:42:05 EST 2007

jedd wrote:

> On Saturday 20 January 2007 10:45 pm, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
>  ] Which CMS's (Content Management System) do you recommend?
>
>  That's a big question.  And it's so hugely dependent on what you
>  want to achieve, and the skillset(s) available in-house, and/or what
>  you're willing to adapt to / employ others to assist with.
>
>  You mention Drupal - I like this one, and also Joomla (nee Mambo).

As far as me installing it myself, on ibiblio, Drupal and possibly Joomla are
beyond me technically, especially so as mods and plugins etc might require php programming skills.
Wordpress, PMWiki and maybe MediaWiki are things I can handle. Maybe eventually Drupal and Joomla will be more
novice-admin friendly in time.

>  ObDisclosure - I like them (primarily) because I've used them, albeit
>  briefly (and that is a significant influencing factor for most IT
>  types when talking about software choices) and because they're coded
>  in PHP (a language I've used and am familiar with (even more ditto)).

>  As it happens, both of those are written to be modular, that is
>  you can plug-in all kinds of things, including your own plugins, and
>  they have lots of community support (so there's lots of ready-rolled
>  plugins to play with).  And, of course, they're free (again, in both
>  senses of that word) software, and that implies all kinds of handy
>  community support, which makes life easier.

I will look more closely at D & J.

>  I've not played with Wordpress.

That or Moveable Type are highly recommended blogs. WP is probably easy to install.

> Mediawiki is a wiki rather than
>  a CMS proper, and my exposure to that is purely at a user level
>  (via wikipedia).

I had thought wikis were classed as cms's but I see they are .... wikis.

I would probably be interested in using Wordpress and Wediawiki together as site-wide software.

>  Here's one back at you (and others) - 'scuse if this doesn't come
>  out well - earlier today I received a late Christmas gift of a bottle
>  of something French and pleasantly orange flavoured.

Grande Marnier. Drambuie?

>  Why are Apples (in the white rather than the red or green sense of
>  the word) so often perceived as being 'okay' by the Permaculture
>  community, do you think?  I've often wondered about this, but
>  have yet to formulate a functional theory.  At first I thought it was

Some varieties will keep from Fall harvest all the way through to Spring and longer,
in perfect condition, same if stored in root cellar. They have utilitarian value,
useful alone or mixed with other foods, highly nutritious, good tasting, can often make a meal off them, are easy to
grow, work very well in combinations with other crops, work well in forest gardens, stabilize permaculture systems and
gardens, provide much income for the grower, can be fed to livestock, provide the vitamin C dietary component, can be
dried for long term storage, are easily maintainable, can be grown as full size trees, semi dwarf for
trellising/espaliering, or true dwarf for small or possibly, with certain varieties, greenhouse gardening.

What do you mean by white sense?

>  just the 'be different' attitude, but that doesn't have longevity.
>  I do some work occasionally for an animation studio, and they're all
>  uber-Mac-heads -- I put that down to their aesthetics (their in both
>  contexts, too).  PCers tend to be less dazzled by form over function,
>  so maybe I'm missing something there.  It can't just be that Steve

I've noticed that I rarely hear of permaculturists waxing ecstatic over
the accomplishments of Capability Brown, Japanese or Italian gardens, English Cottage Gardens,
US Colonial Gardens, Boxwood gardens, modern gardens, refined modern landscapes designed for
exotic industrial or residential structures. Or even creating beautiful ornamental landscapes for their clients of for
themselves. To me, a former landscape contractor (organic but never heard of PC until 1986), nice ornamental gardens,
foundation plantings, other permanent plantings of ground cover to trees on site are integral to a good permaculture
design. The nice thing about permaculture is that it offers an integrated approach to site planning and development.
An ornamental garden is not standalone, it is part of the site ecology and part of a comprehensive site management plan.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm
lfl at intrex.net