[permaculture] Help and conversations for possibility AND action.

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 20 02:17:07 EST 2007

Andrew,
Thanks for your support.

We have NO intention of closing or selling. Things are going fairly
well. We'd just like to accelerate that a bit. You are doing your part
by sharing the mag and for that we are grateful.

Advertising has picked up a bit, subscriptions are up somewhat, and book
sales more so. Scott and I have talked about the potential for growth
and its a conversation we will continue. Everybody's input is valuable.

With magazine improvement and growth maybe we can start to pay our
writers. I want to.

High on our wish list is new Pagemaker, Photoshop, (and other) software
plus new Macs (about 4) and Pc's to run it on (I'm going to soon be
running a dual boot of windows and linux and maybe Peter and Scott could
dual boot Mac and Linux). If anyone has this software maybe it could be
shared. When Peter returns I'll get more info about the other software
he needs.

We keep saying that the first (usually unwritten) principle of
permaculture is "get help". When seeking help, it pays to ask.....so,
we're asking.

Nobody working for the Activist is full-time. Be gentle. ;-)

Improving the mag will take more than just time and effort. Money will
be required...probably about $15-20,000....and most of our capital from
teaching, consulting is going into paying off our new home in
Bloomington. I'm working at generating a couple more income streams but
that may take some time to develop. We've begun to get small donations
via paypal and they are delightful welcome surprises for us. A whole
BUNCH of small donations could be really exciting.

Meanwhile I like your "open source" metaphor for the mag. That is
exactly what has kept us going. If not for you all, we wouldn't be viable.

We'd love to get nicer paper and more color but these don't come cheap.
If we are to keep the price low we need more ads and subscribers. News
stand sales don't help us nearly as much as subscriptions. Is our price
to low? One of our distributors is selling it on Amazon for $10 more.

So, I'm very glad I asked the question...and I will keep asking
questions to elicit suggestions and support.

I'm thinking we need to do some kind of fundraiser like the Hope Dance
folks do. Maybe a raffle with a lifetime subscription or two and some
full sets of back issues. More ideas?

I know I can improve the website to make it more shareable and
interactive (forms for example and "click here to share with
friends"...a newsletter...) so that visitors get enrolled in spreading
the word. I just redesigned the home page so let me know what you think.

We want to sell more products but without the hassles of warehousing and
shipping. A recent conversation with Lawrence London about his handmade
garden tools suggests a possibility to follow up. More ideas about this
are welcome. How can we affiliate to our joint benefit?

Should I start to charge 2, 3, 4, 5, or more dollars for listings in the
Planetary Pc Directory? It takes a fair bit of time to keep that updated
especially with more PDC grads all over the planet.

We recognize that the importance of the Activist is growing and we want
it to be a vehicle for our mutual success. We know the potential is there.

Keith
PS I just spoke to an agent at Chelsea Green regarding a Best of the
Permaculture Activist book. Stay tuned.

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."