[permaculture] 1983 Bill Mollison PDC DVD of MP3's

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Fri Jan 19 04:19:00 EST 2007

 Some further clarifications and comments on this release.

On Friday 19 January 2007 9:15 am, Myron Mykyta wrote:
 ] If you put the DVD in a computer's DVD rom, you'll be able
 ] to play the mp3's (assuming no copy protection) with any
 ] mp3 player, including iTunes.

 Some of the very new DVD players will perform this kind of
 operation, but if you're the kind of person who's asking, you're
 probably the kind of person who doesn't own such a device.

 Note that mp3's don't, because they can't, have copy protection.

 This is why iTunes (etc) wish to force you to use DRM-laden
 technologies.  Always fascinating to find permy types so keen
 on proprietary Apple & Microsoft technologies.

 MP3 format itself is a curious choice - it's non-free (patent laden)
 and lower quality than free (in both senses of the word) techs
 that are available.

 I'm referring specifically to Vorbis, in case you're wondering.

 I have two other asides.  Cope.

 First, the amount of data involved in 47 hours of 128kbps (in case
 you were wondering about that, too, as it's not made clear on the
 site) mp3-audio is about 2.6GB.   There may be some irony about
 it not being made available for download, but required to be shipped
 on a physical medium around the globe, given the content.

 Second, I'd heard rumours that Bill and Geoff (?) had the PDC they
 were holding at RMIT (that's in Melbourne, btw (and that's in
 Australia)) last year professionally recorded, AV style no less,
 with a view to that in turn being marketted.

 I don't doubt that an awful lot of work went into the mastering of
 the 1983 set, and that an even larger amount of work would be
 involved in an AV release of a PDC.

 Jedd.