[permaculture] Similarities between the Jesus Movement at itsorigin and the Permaculture movement

Robert Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Wed Dec 26 12:34:02 EST 2007

I'd also like to point out that the Catholic
Church is a very big tent, it is the largest world
human cultural institution.  It has been around
for a long time and will not be going away soon.
The church has gone through an examination of its
corporate conscience and a repentance process
about its many sins, which is more than we can say
about most other human cultural institutions.
Since I work for a Catholic church as a parish
musician, I am as aware as anybody of the faults
of the Catholic Church, yet the actual reality is
much more complex.

Benedict XVI is continuing a process set in motion
by JP II to call Catholics to a greater awareness
of our responsibility to care for creation.
During his sermon at midnight mass in the Vatican
this year, he compared the stable and the manger
where Christ was born to the world, polluted by
the abuse of energy. . .

"Gregory of Nyssa, in his Christmas homilies,
developed the same vision setting out from the
Christmas message in the Gospel of John: "He
pitched his tent among us" (Jn 1:14). . .  What
would he say if he could see the state of the
world today, through the abuse of energy and its
selfish and reckless exploitation? Anselm of
Canterbury, in an almost prophetic way, once
described a vision of what we witness today in a
polluted world whose future is at risk:
"Everything was as if dead, and had lost its
dignity, having been made for the service of those
who praise God. The elements of the world were
oppressed, they had lost their splendour because
of the abuse of those who enslaved them for their
idols, for whom they had not been created" (PL
158, 955f.). Thus, according to Gregory's vision,
the stable in the Christmas message represents the
ill-treated world. What Christ rebuilds is no
ordinary palace. He came to restore beauty and
dignity to creation, to the universe: this is what
began at Christmas and makes the angels rejoice."

My faith journey in Roman Catholicism is what led
me to permaculture and keeps me going.  So as much
as we want to make things black and white,
either-or, reality continues to surprise us with
its complexity.

Bob Waldrop
Oscar Romero Catholic Worker House
Oklahoma City