[permaculture] This must be a hoax

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Sun Dec 23 10:05:29 EST 2007

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:51:35 -0600, you wrote:

>I have never cooked with soy milk, though.

(Unsweetened, unflavored) soy milk and dairy milk are totally
interchangeable in recipes.  You don't have to make any changes to recipes
to use one or the other.

>I'm
>guessing the flax seed meal is a vegan substitute
>for eggs?

It can be used as such, although it's also a valuable food in its own right
(containing lots of Omega-3s if eaten uncooked or very lightly cooked).  I
eat it daily, in my morning muesli or hot cereal.  I grind it fresh each
time, in a little coffee/spice mill (takes about 30 seconds/day).

>I generally don't add an egg to my corn
>cake batter that I fry in a cast iron skillet.  I
>make the batter a little wetter than is usual for
>pancakes, and am liberal with oiling the pan.
>They are a little crunchy, and after trying
>several different versions, my household voted the
>eggless version as their favorite.

Here's my favorite version of cornmeal cakes:  Tennessee Cornmeal Cakes,
which I *adore* - although I'm not from Tennessee and - in fact - have
never been there.

====================================

* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Tennessee Cornmeal Cakes

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 4     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breakfast

  2               cups  cornmeal
     1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
  2 1/2           cups  buttermilk
  2                     eggs
  2        tablespoons  oil

Mix wets.  Mix dries.  Mix wets and dries together.  Cook like pancakes.

  "Wonderful, wonderful cornmeal cakes"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 407 Calories; 11g Fat (25.7%
calories from fat); 14g Protein; 61g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 99mg
Cholesterol; 348mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat;
1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat.

Serving Ideas : Serve with butter and real maple syrup.

Pat
-- Northern Pennsylvania

Good planets are hard to find; let's take care of
the one we have.