[permaculture] alternatives to Poppies

kris kaul kriskaul at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 12:10:27 EST 2007

Roxann,

  For a long-term solution I would take a look at what Lambi Fund (www.lambifund.org) is doing in Haiti, or rather what the Haitian peasants themselves are doing with support from Lambi.  The focus is on giving seed money, training, and technical support to projects conceived by Haitians grassroots groups.  Although Haiti has a tropical climate, the extreme degradation of the land has led to erosion and drought in many parts of the country.  The focus on a return to local self-sufficiency in food and other goods would in any case apply to Afghanistan.

  Here are examples of some of the projects:

  - agricultural cooperatives, including education and training in community farming, goat and pig breeding, water collection, and reforestation with valuable (food or lumber producing) tree species.

  - micro-credit and training for women.  Women in Haiti form the backbone of the agricultural economy and do most of the marketing.  Micro-credit allows them to take turns taking small loans for building up sustainable enterprises.

  - a small mill cooperative run by women.  Previously, women had to walk several days to mill their grain, and lost part of the grain's value in paying the miller, then had to carry the milled grain several more days to market.

  - reforestation nursery cooperatives.  Training and seed money were provided.  The nursery now serves not only to reforest the region around the community but also sells seedlings and provides technical assistance well beyond.

  - building cisterns and irrigation canals.  By working directly with peasant groups and their plans, the water projects completed by Lambi are still functioning and providing multiple benefits while other top-down "solutions" imposed from outside have failed.

  Some other projects include community honey production, grain storage, spice farms, and tool banks.  Lambi recently teamed with Wangari Maathai and the Greenbelt Movement to plant 1 million trees in Haiti.

  When I visited Haiti last month I was really struck by the level of empowerment and self-sufficiency in the people involved in these projects, especially given the utter lack of resources in the environment surrounding them.  (nb: I don't work for Lambi.)

  Two projects that impressed me the most were the plantain "multiplication" center and the huge reforestation project undertaken by the peasants of Bige.  I have some pictures of the projects here:
  http://www.pbase.com/kkaul/haiti_07

  I think the keys to the success of these projects are their commity-based nature and democratic decision-making process.  I am sure it would look and feel different (as it should) once translated appropriately to the afghani culture.

  Kris

  Message: 7