[permaculture] alternatives to Poppies

yarrow at sfo.com yarrow at sfo.com
Mon Dec 17 22:31:00 EST 2007

An interesting book for him to read would be Ancient Futures by
Helena Norberg-Hodge. She founded an organization to help the Ladakh
people become self-sufficient.

Instead of a crop, I would look at the microlending model (Grameen
Bank, Kiva.org, etc.) and, if I were in Afghanistan, look at what
resources the people have that could earn income -- crafts?
value-added agricultural products? I'd suggest the focus should be on
providing enough food for their own communities first, and then, in
collaboration with entrepreneurial Afghanis, come up with some ideas.
The most important "customers" would be fellow Afghanis. If they also
wanted to sell to the heathen west, then the places to contact would
be organizations such as Global Exchange or World of Good.