[permaculture] Creek remediation

David david at h4c.org
Mon Dec 17 11:53:21 EST 2007

Jay,

Jay Woods wrote:
> It would be fun to have beavers established on the creek. That would get the
> pond started without much labor on your part. The question that I would have
> is what would be attractive to a beaver? Starting a grove o food trees would
> help convince a captured and released beaver to stay. Cottonwoods and alders
> are selected for here in Omaha but are not interesting trees.

Interesting thought, for sure. I had forgotten, in fact, but there was
at one time several years ago something in the creek, probably a beaver
(I never saw it, I am no expert in animal tracks, etc., and I did not
take pictures) which chewed down some of the smaller trees and-- by
appearances-- started to build a dam. But it left or was killed. At
present I have 16 goats in the woods, and there is a family of coyotes
living there too, almost certainly because of the cover provided by the
blackberries which grow profusely over about a third of the wooded area.

The two main problems with a beaver or beavers is that I would have no
control over where they decided to build the pond(s), and their idea of
good building materials might be my idea of a valuable source of food.

d.

--
David William House
	503-678-5162 (home)

	"The Complete Biogas Handbook" www.completebiogas.com

	"Make no search for water.   But find thirst,
	And water from the very ground will burst."
	   (Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in Delight of Hearts, p. 77)