[permaculture] mediterranean orchards, terracing and fire protection

Vital Scherrer vital233 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 11 18:02:06 EST 2007

Dear nora,
Some more plants, which are useful, fire retardant and/or fire resistant,
reasonably shade tolerant, compatible and will benefit the olive:
Edibles, among other common vegetables and fruits:
- Helianthus annuus, Sunflowers
- Helianthus tuberosus,  Jerusalem artichoke
- Pumpkins and other Cucurbitaceae's
- Sweet potato
- Passionfruit
- Figs
- Mulberries
- Quercus ilex, Holly oak,
- Quercus rotundifolia (or ilex var. ballota), Holm oak
Nitrogen fixers:
- Evergreen Elaeagnus x ebbingei, -macrophylla, -pungens and more (fruits
ripen before June)
- Glycyrrhiza glabra, Liquorice
- Acacia dealbata, -decurrens, -saligna, -sophorae, -baileyana and more.
Basically any plants which are fleshy or sappy, evergreen or remain green
during the dry season. Some more detailed info you can find in Bill
Mollison's "Introduction to Permaculture" pages 64-66.
My experience with mulch was that flying sparks did not inflame it, if it is
quiet compact rather than loose, but an impermeable barrier along the plots
boundaries is probably necessary to stop the glow on the ground to spread to
the mulch.
What kind of soil do you have (pH etc.)?
Do you have any uncultivated protected forest reserves, like a national
park, with native species, which were affected by the fires? It would be
valuable to see which species proved to most resistant or recovered from it.
Kind regards
Vital