[permaculture] what is "politics" exactly...?

Paul Cereghino paul.cereghino at comcast.net
Fri Dec 7 00:35:27 EST 2007

>"Politics is the process by which the community makes decisions and
>establishes values that are binding upon its members."

I would suggest that 'binding values' in the form of verbiage are of
minor value in the operation of current systems.  There are three
currencies I see.  Memes, Money and Legal Prosecution.  The first is the
most unpredictable, the second reflects the funneling of collectivized
resources through taxation systems, the other reflects control of the
state monopoly on violence, not as a system of values, but as an ornate
system of arbitrary rules.

Permaculture design (even as applied to politics) should focus on
analysis of actual processes and phenomena.  Flows, source, sink,
etc...  If natural systems are are the source of inspiration for
ecological design, what is the source of inspiration for political design.

More critically... what is the effective transitional system from
current state to target state (least work greatest effect).

Paul Cereghino