[permaculture] politics and permies - Ghandi quote

Charles de Matas cdematas at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 4 14:45:59 EST 2007

I read the following in an article in a local newspaper [Charles]:

'As far back as 1928, Mahatma Gandhi, looking at western patterns of consumption, warned: "God forbid that India should ever take to industrialisation after the manner of the west. If an entire nation of 300 million (India's population at the time) took to similar economic exploitation, it would strip the world bare like locusts."
  To think that Gandhi had not seen the wild consumerism that has enveloped most of the world - India included. He was a visionary.  And we are blinded by the good times that we think will roll on forever.'