[permaculture] frozen trees and baby steps to permaculture

Diane Wilson dilwilson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 25 14:03:47 EDT 2007

Here in northeast Kansas we experienced the harsh freeze period in early
April, as well - culminating in 2 nights down to 17 degrees F. Seems that
much of Zone 6 experienced this. I also live in an oak/hickory forest, and
am elated to report that I'm starting to see some swelling buds on the oaks,
and the hickories have started to leaf out. Lots of mast and fruit crops
won't be producing this year around here. This is our first spring here on
our place, so haven't done major design work or planting yet. But this
freeze has gotten me wondering what, if anything, we can do to deal with
future weather extremes.

Diane