[permaculture] Railroad ties and gardens

Marimike6 at cs.com Marimike6 at cs.com
Mon Apr 23 16:19:20 EDT 2007

LBSaltzman says

>This paragraph bothers me.

"Some organic gardening publications have claimed that these garden uses are
unsafe. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has approved the use of
CCA-treated wood for gardens. (Tests have confirmed that arsenic does not leach
from timbers used in gardens. Soil was collected from near timbers that had been
place from 6 months to 9 years.)"

It gives me the willies too. A couple of years ago we had a death in NC from
someone standing to close to a drum where he was burning old pieces of
pressure treated. There's more arsenic in that wood than you would like to think
about.

And it may well be that there is more danger to creosoted timber than I
realize. But I don't think it has been demonstrated yet that it poses a hazard to
human health. Maybe I'm wrong in that.

Meanwhile I won''t eat any. But I wouldn't mind picking up and stacking
railroad ties. I would wear a mask when sawing them. And I'd wash my hands before
lunch.