[permaculture] Global warming may put U.S. in hot water -

j Kolenovsky garden at hal-pc.org
Wed Apr 18 12:19:09 EDT 2007

I have been studying catchment since 2002. When I ran my landscaping
company, I built some elementary rain gardens. Living in a part of town
that downgraded from 100 year flood plain to 5 year flood plain and may
downgrade more if the $100 million project of catchment that is several
miles from us doesn't work, selling rain gardens wasn't a hard thing to
do. They are growing in demand. I would love to do it again. With my
physical disabilities, I could only do the admin/supervisory work and
not hands on like before. See www.celestialhabitats.com for some pix of
these in the works in progress section.

As far as graywater, I have a neighbor who works for a public works
engineering firm and at the flood seminars I have talked extensively to
them about filtering gray water into clean water using what I liken to a
compostable toilet OR a bio-system habitat with multi-levels of
filtration.

Some of this stuff I'm up on and some not as well.

Water conservation and management seems to be increasing across the
board.

One of the ways I got interested in this was waterwise gardening and
keeping the water on the property and out of the storm sewer. Since we
live next to a saltwater bay, I tell people I don't need their
fertilizer in my shrimp. (wouldn't eat the shrimp from there anyway but
you get the point)

--
Message: 3