[permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 51, Issue 20

Ben Martin Horst ben.martinhorst at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 14:52:53 EDT 2007

Travis--
Thanks for posting the link ... I had referenced an earlier Ruddiman
paper in a post a couple weeks ago about the introduction of wet rice
culture being linked to anthropogenic warming due to methane
emissions, but I couldn't remember or find the source or author
(Ruddiman and Thomson: 2001, "The Case for Human Causes of Increased
Atmospheric CH4 over the Last 5000 Years," Quaternary Science Review
#22, 141.). I'm glad to see this paper.

Of course, even if the hypothesis that methane-related warming goes
back thousands of years is proven true, it still pales in comparison
to present-day anthropogenic CO2 warming. Nonetheless, I think it has
a profound impact on the way we think about human interaction
with/effect on the environment in a broader sense than just what
industrialized nations have been doing since 1750, as deeply important
as that may be. From a permaculture perspective, I think it makes it
clear in another way that if we are to live in tandem with the Earth's
natural cycles -- whether the changing of the seasons or the
23,000-year climatological cycles -- that we need to look for
inspiration not so much among pre-industrial agricultural peoples but
among hunter-gatherers and horticulturists.

Ben