[permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] are gm crops killing bees]

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Thu Apr 5 23:54:28 EDT 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] are gm crops killing bees
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 23:18:10 -0400
From: jcummins <jcummins at UWO.CA>
To: SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Hello Shane Morris Senior Consumer Analyst  for Agriculture Canada and
co-author of an award winning paper in the British Food Journal.
It is always a treat to respond to government bureaucrats  seeking to
influence public opinion. As, I am sure you aware,  my repeated comment
on the honey bee decline disaster was that the US NRC report had
neglected the impact of  pesticides and GM crops in their report which
certainly influences the funding of research. There is a long list of
pesticides that influence the health and the behavior of bees. There has
been less research on the influence of  the pesticides in GM crops
containing Bt toxins and those requiring herbicides ( herbicides like
insecticides are known to effect bee health). It seems to me the
Canadian bureaucrats are fluttering about trying to pretend that
pesticides and GM crops are not factors in the bee disaster. The
Canadian bureaucrats  seem to follow the famous dictum of the Editor of
the British Food Journal  who declared that there is a common
misconception that science is about facts. At this point in time the
stated preference for public relations over facts seems to me a major
contributer to government supported research leading to blind alleys and
hastening the ultimate disaster, extinction of honey bees.  sincerely,
joe cummins