[permaculture] In the interest of diversity .. OT: let the music keep your spirits high

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Tue Sep 19 02:04:03 EDT 2006

For the faithful obsessed with gems of music:

Iceland: Bjork

US
old Rolling Stones
old Byrds
Jose Feliciano
Jim Morrison and the Doors
"Light My Fire"

Norway: Hardanger fiddle, song

Espana
Flamenco
nothing recorded after 1985 almost
Manolo Caracol, cantaor   Melchor de Marchena, guitar
very innovative, spontaneous, almost mystical
Nino Ricardo, guitar
Juanito Valderrama, cantaor

Cuba
Salsa
Celia Cruz, a singer with a magnificent voice
the instrumental accompaniments are almost carribean-primitive in some of this kind of salsa

Middle East
Hamza el Din, oud

Greece
most any bouzouki music

Brazil:
Lambada
Kaoma (group)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5dmwKDQ0lM&search=Kaoma%2C%20%22Lambada%22
  - maybe one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard, it will put fire in your life
Lambada is a traditional Bolivian song also; the group Kjarkas has recorded it

Venezuelan traditional harp music

Peru
old LP album by Los Incas
all the familiar traditional Peruvian songs, I guess mostly from the Andes
guitars, charango, pipes, drums
Beautiful, enchanting, spiritual, nostalgic - the soul of the Andes and the people there

Portugal
Fados

Early folkways recording of pigmy music from Madagascar
every permaculturist should listen to this at least once in his/her life
I think this singing style is still carried on in parts of Africa and Madagascar

early Folkways or Columbia World Library of Folk and Primitive Music
recording of Haitian voodoo music; chanting and with drumming accompanyment
-Talk about drumming! this is the ultimate, most hypnotizing, enchanting mystical sound
I have ever heard performed on that instrument - really tuned into some distant
strange place in the continuum

Pearls for folks.
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm
lfl at intrex.net
info at market-farming.com
http://market-farming.com
Venaura Farm, sustainably-grown produce & garden handtools
http://market-farm.com/venaurafarm
Permaculture mailing list: