[permaculture] Looking for Property?

gaia gaia at oneota.net
Tue Sep 12 15:20:31 EDT 2006

Brook,
I just looked at your website.
this is a perfect area for a midwest site of all that you are involved in
teaching/living.  just hook-up micro/hydro on the creek, and some wind for
pumping water(all of which was done here in the past)
an addition, an adjacent 9 acres may be available (I know the fellow who
owns it, absent now for 20 some years; an early solar energy pioneer in
this area)
the house is allready equipped with solarpit greenhouse just like the one
in your picture.
many of the houses still have their barns.  trout in the creek and
deer,turkey,pheasant in the woods and hills.
not too mention morels and goldenseal,etc; a veritable pharmacy.
Zen Temple Monastery at the top of the hill.
Seed Savers Farm  just 5 miles away.
& land available to pasture animals, within walking distance.
The village itself has several amenities...people, even a gay
couple(actually, several in the area), the general store which is truly
general-
being the post office, community coffee table, laundry,fishing tackle,
gifts, some local produce and grocery.did I mention video rental?

Perhaps most importantly, there are several clean springs for drinking
water, right in the village.
And the old schoolhouse is available for music/dancing, teaching and
community gatherings.  The blacksmith shop still stands.
It is a place of both history and possibility.  And a very safe place to
raise a family.
Native sites -solstice circles, birthing caves, rock art, and bear mounds
are here, the last area ceded to the white man is this.
Amish colony up the road.  An organic CSA 3 miles away.
10 miles to Decorah,Iowa and 35 to LaCrosse,Wisconsin; both have
colleges/universities with Environmental Studies offerings.

I do not have it listed yet, preferring first to attempt to call in the
highest vision for the area.
I would list it for somewhere between 90-120. There are some people who
specifically want to live in this village; and that will be my next
offering.  but first I'd like to find a permie-person.
The house is solid, honestly built. constructed to the highest standards of
it's day.  Rock foundation and chimney provide great thermal mass for a
hot-fired wood stove in the basement(one could actually do away with the
fuel oil/forced air furnace entirely and just build in a
masonry stove.  double plastered walls. real plaster.
it has been insulated.  It is a gracious and beautiful house in it's
proportions, and not too large. cedar clapboard siding. fairly recent roof,
furnace, etc.
I know, you want pictures. but that means I'll have to figure out how to
use the camera....

it would probably be faster for you to find a cheap flight into Minneapolis.
I could pick you up and show you the area.

A place of primordial origin... come for a look, you may never want to leave.

Gaianne
my number is 563-546-4664  I'll work on the camera part.