[permaculture] poop and pee

yarrow at sfo.com yarrow at sfo.com
Mon Oct 16 14:16:42 EDT 2006

It should not smell if you are composting properly. Are you using
sawdust or something similar to cover each deposit? Are you following
the instructions in the Humanure Handbook? Are you incorporating a
variety of materials in your compost pile?

Generally the advice re humanure composting is to become adept at hot
composting of kitchen and garden wastes before attempting humanure
composting. Once your first batch of humanure compost has aged a
year, if you have any doubts at all on whether it's safe to use, get
it tested by a soil/microbiology lab. Or wait 2 years, or use it on
ornamentals or fruit trees.